Department of Commerce

The Form 4013 used in preparing 2019 Tax Returns was mailed to Resident Tribal Members age 14 and older on January 16, 2020.   Please email if you have questions.

Department of Commerce is responsible for the administration and/or oversight of the following:

  • Filing Business Certificate Registrations (DBA’s)
  • Filing all Profit and Non-Profit Corporations, Registrations, Certificates and Amendments
  • Oversight of the LTBB Tax Agreement and establishing policies regarding such as needed
  • Oversight and regulation of tax-exempt fuel and tobacco purchases pertaining to the LTBB Tax Agreement

Guidelines and Application for CARES Act Funding
LTBB has received funding from the CARES Act, and amongst other distributions – DOC is administering a portion of these funds to LTBB Citizen-owned businesses that were negatively impacted by COVID-19.
Eligibility requirements are as follows:

  1. Business must be LTBB-Citizen owned (51% ownership or more)
  2. Business must have been negatively impacted by COVID-19
  3. Cannot be a marijuana-based business, as this is federal funding

All applications and supporting documents must be submitted to DOC by June 19th, 2020.
Grants to Businesses Guidelines
CARES Act Application

Current State Tax Exemptions for LTBB Citizens:

  • Effective: 01/01/2020
  • Unleaded Fuel:  $0.38 per gallon (all 3 grades)
  • Diesel Fuel:      $0.41 per gallon
  • Cigarettes:       $2.00 per pack / $20.00 per carton
  • Other Tobacco Products: 24% off the retail price at Biindigen

The Corporate Income Tax (CIT) and the Michigan Business Tax (MBT) tribal forms are now updated and available. Attached you’ll find both tax types, as some businesses are able to elect to continue under the MBT. (See below for detail.)

This is Treasury’s website information discerning who should file which form:
The Michigan Corporate Income Tax (CIT) was signed into law by Governor Rick Snyder on May 25, 2011.  The CIT imposes a 6% corporate income tax on C corporations and taxpayers taxed as corporations federally.  The CIT has one credit, the small business alternative credit, which offers an alternate tax rate of 1.8% of adjusted business income.  There are no other credits, except those under the MBT election (addressed below).  Insurance companies and financial institutions pay alternative taxes.  The CIT replaces the Michigan Business Tax (MBT) for most taxpayers, effective January 1, 2012.  Taxpayers with less than $350,000 in allocated or apportioned gross receipts and/or less than or equal to $100 in annual liability are not required to file or pay the CIT.  The gross receipts threshold does not apply to financial institutions or insurance companies.

Additionally, on May 25, 2011, the Governor signed into law the MBT election which enables certain MBT taxpayers with certificated or awarded credits to continue using those credits once the CIT is in place.  Such taxpayers may elect to continue filing and paying under the MBT until the expiration of the previously-awarded certificated credits.

Michigan Business Tax (MBT) Tribal Agrmt Apportionment
Michigan Business Tax (MBT) Tribal Agreement Ownership Schedule
Michigan Corporate Income Tax (CIT) Tribal Agrmt Apportionment
Michigan Corporate Income Tax (CIT) Tribal Agrmt Ownership Schedule

Northern Shores Community Development

NLEA Business Counseling & Funding Available
Northern Lakes Economic Alliance (NLEA)has expanded their business counseling services and have added more business counseling opportunities as they work with SCORE!  NLEA also is offering Service Provider Program designed to provide funds to businesses, for a variety of services, to help them grow. Find out how your business may qualify to receive money for projects including:
- Website development
- Accounting System setup
- Legal entity issues
- Software development
- Marketing programs
For more info on these great services and more contact Tom Erhart, NLEA Entrepreneurship Director at: or 231-582-6482.  Please visit

Attention all resident Tribal Members(RTM’s):

If you are planning to purchase a vehicle, ORV, or plan on doing any home improvements to your principal place of residence, you need to contact Hayden Hooper first (see contact information below), before making the actual purchase(s). I will issue you a ‘Tribal Certificate of Exemption’ for such purchases. You must fill out the “Request for TCE” form, located on this page, or by contacting my office. The Tribe no longer uses the Refund Method, as indicated in the monthly newsletter, as of January 1, 2008. If you’ve already made a purchase, there is no recourse!!! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Q & A’s Regarding the Handling of Resident Tribal Member (RTM) filings of the MI 1040 and the 4013.

Tax Agreement Information and Forms:
Tax Agreement (Updated 06/14/17)
LTBB Tax Agreement 1st Amendment
LTBB Tax Agreement 2nd Amendment
LTBB Tax Agreement 3rd Amendment
Tax Agreement Excerpt of Enumerated Items
Eligible and Noneligible Purchases for RTMs
Appendix A (Amended) for Tax Agreement fully Executed 012616
Tax Agreement Map

Resident Tribal Member Forms:
How to Request a Tribal Certificate of Exemption - updated 02/21/17
Tribal Certificate of Exemption Request
Residency Form For Tax Agreement - Updated 09/08/17
Authorization Policy Form for Non-Citizen Use of LTBB Tribal ID

Incorporating a Profit or Non-Profit Corporation:

Application for Register a Corporation-2019
Articles of Incorp for Nonprofit
Articles of Incorporation for use by Domestic Profit Corporations
Certificate of Amendment to Articles of Incorporation
Information & Instructions for Filing Articles of Incorporation

Business Registration Certificates:

Waganakising Odawak Statue 2006-009 - Business Assumed Names Act

DOC Contact: Hayden Hooper
7500 Odawa Circle
Harbor Springs, Michigan 49740
Phone:  231-242-1584
Cellular: 231-420-2924

Full Website